apparently, been ascertained that the north, south and east walls are of later construction. This is supported by the claim that the clerestory was built in c15 as was the norm in these parts. So if the present walls, as they do, extend to just above that triangular-headed roof in the west wall we are entitled to wonder whether and why the Anglo-Saxon walls were replaced with, by implication lower walls only to replace them later (via the clerestory) with walls up to their original height? It all seems rather odd and not fully explained either by the Church Guide or in Pevsner.
The north aisle followed in c13. The windows are very odd. Instead of the normal single lancet windows that would have been typical of the Early English period (and of which there is one in the west wall of this very aisle) the masons chose at the east end to use two groups of three lancets. These are commonplace configurations as east or west windows of the period, or as transept windows but most unusual as aisle windows. The Church Guide speculates that there might have been a chapel at this end of the aisle and that this might explain the odd window configuration. A south aisle and porch followed shortly as did a west door. This would have been a very early c13 doorway as it still has dog-tooth moulding around its pointed Gothic arch.
The c14 saw the south aisle and porch burnt down and rebuilt with windows in the Decorated style. The arches of both aisles are identical so it appears that those on the north side were replaced at the same time. Oddly, the porch has a doorway in the same style as the west door. Why, one wonders, does the rebuilt south side sport a Transitional style porch doorway and Decorated style windows? Was the original porch doorway rebuilt? The c15 saw the usual addition of a clerestory and the heightening of the tower along an octagonal plan. There are the usual grotesques and gargoyles adorning this part of the church. The spire was added in 1640. The main point of interest in the church apart from the Anglo-Saxon cross is the wall painting that adorns the north aisle and the area above the chancel arch. The top of the chancel arch painting is clearly of Christ and various saints and apostles. The likelihood is that the area below would have been a Doom painting showing the good people entering a heaven and the poor old sinners being prodded towards the flames of Hell by lurid devils but we canít tell. On the north side we can see St Michael weighing souls flanked by the Devil and the Virgin Mary. Pevsner dates these paintings to around 1350;
I canít pretend that Nassington is worth a long visit to see but it has many points of interest to the church historian. Meandering along the quiet roads and exploring the (usually open) churches in this part of the world is a rewarding experience. And you are never more than a few minutes from a good pub!