Langtoft is another of the many churches in this area restored or rebuilt by the redoubtable and philanthropic Sir Tatton Sykes’s - father and son - of Sledmere. For more about them see the footnote on the Cowlam page.
Unless you have an interest in the Sykes churches themselves, Langtoft shares with Cowlam the dubious distinction of being of little interest other than the fact it houses one of the East Riding Group of Norman fonts. Langtoft, however, is vastly bigger than the “farmyard church” of Cowlam.
The oldest parts of the church are the c13 tower, south aisle and nave. The chancel is early c14 with a slightly more recent chancel arch.
Restored in 1900-03, this was the last of the Sykes Churches and the work was done by Hodgson Fowler. The nave glass is by Kempe.
The font is of exceptional interest. We cannot, however, deduce that a Norman church existed here because the font was originally at Cottam Church which is, sadly, derelict despite being only 3 miles from Sledmere, the ancestral seat of the Sykes family. We do know, however, that Langtoft is an Anglo-Saxon name so the settlement is an ancient one. We also know that Langtoft was within the area devastated by William the Conqueror in his infamous campaign known as “The Harrowing of the North” - what we might nowadays call a “Scorched Earth” policy.