the upper trio of windows (that perhaps hint of the triple windows that would become so prevalent in the EE era) have the usual supporting piers and capitals, the west door does not but does have wonderful courses of chevrons, beakheads and zodiac symbols. The blind doorways either side are typical of St Remy’s Normandy origins rather than of England. Sadly, the round window is a Victorian replacement of the original that had been replaced by a perpendicular window. We can, however, applaud the Victorians for restoring the Norman symmetry of this west wall. Lacking tracery, it is not technically a “rose” window.
The nave is totally Norman. The arches are semi-circular, giving a wonderful sense of proportion. There are decorations underneath as well as around the tower arches, and some very unusual bands of fruit and flower decorations. There is a suggestion that this was a response to the dislike of the influential St Bernard of Clairvaux who deplored the use grotesques. We see also pillars of Tournai marble.
The chancel is Early English, with sedilia added in about 1250.
The south door is a joy to behold, with every conceivable figure of fantasy and legend. Fortunately there was once a porch here which has preserved the carvings in all their glory.