The casket is made of painted ivory, bound with bronze and sates from 1170. The panels are painted with birds and spiral motifs. It is believed to have been made by Norman craftsmen in Sicily which by then the Normans had conquered. It was hidden away at the Dissolution of the Monasteries, lost, rediscovered by accident, in 1831, displayed in 1957, stolen again and recovered near Sheffield. Amongst all the “miracles” associated with Petroc, perhaps the biggest is that we still have his casket!
The church today - the biggest in Cornwall - dates from 1469-72. It has the usual Cornish wagon roof with some decent bosses. Otherwise, in truth, it is pleasant but unremarkable. The Norman font, however, is outstanding. On the bottom are some really “nice” monsters entwined with foliage. At each corner are the faces of angels. Altarnun has similar corner faces, but theirs are grotesque, There is plenty of gorgeous scroll decoration in between. It is outstandingly well-preserved.