Ufford is believed to date from the first half of c11. The lowest four feet of part of the north wall is about all that remains of that initial phase. The square ended chancel and south aisle were added in the early c13. The tower was begun in c14. Most of what we see today, however, was built between 1400 and 1500.
More importantly, however, this was when the extraordinary bench ends and the font cover were added, and it is the quality of the wood carving that brings the visitor to Ufford Church today.
The font cover is one of the finest in the country. It is some eighteen feet high and dates from about 1450. The colourful mass of pinnacles, crockets and finials is topped by the “pelican in her piety” pecking at her breast to feed her young with her own blood. The cover is in part telescopic with a counterweighting mechanism!
The bench ends are a thrilling odyssey through c15 church iconography and although some are lost or damaged they are in the main well-preserved, Each bench end has a poppyhead flanked by two figures.
The nave roof also dates from this period. There are five massive transverse tie beams which still have original paintwork, alternating with four hammer beams. The hammer beams are decorated with angels that were carved at Oberammergau (of Passion Play fame) to replace the originals that were